Attracting Wild Birds to Your Backyard
1) Keep your feeder full year round – an empty feeder cannot attract your favorite birds.
2) Provide an elevated or hanging feeder, and a ground feeding tray to attract the largest variety of birds. Multiple feeders reduce competition between smaller and larger birds.
3) Provide cover around your feeders so birds are protected while feeding. Birds need to feel safe to stay and eat at any feeder.
4) Provide clean drinking water in a bird bath. Water is essential to all birds and will tend to attract a greater variety to your backyard.
5) Keep your feeders clean of debris. This is essential – wet or moldy seed can be harmful to birds.
6) Use different seeds to attract different types of birds. Many birds have preferences that once understood can be used to help attract a specific species to your feeder. Like Nyjer Thistle, it is a Finch favorite and can be used to attract these wonderful birds.
7) Be Patient. It may take several weeks for birds to locate your new feeder, but rest assured, once they find it, they will be back for more.
8) Use high-quality food without fillers.
9) Feed your squirrels separately to avoid competition between them and the birds.