Try something new for the holidays and break out the Traeger for a delicious Turkey that’ll sure to become a requested tradition to your Thanksgiving meal!
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
COOK TIME: 2.5-3 Hours
- 1 (16-18 LB.) Wild Turkey
- 1/2 CUP Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1/4 CUP Traeger Fin and Feather Rub, Divided
- 2 TSP Butter
- ½ Cup Whiskey
- 3 TSP Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Honey
- Salt and Pepper to Taste/li>
- When ready to cook, start Traeger grill according to grill instructions, and set the temperature to 375 degrees F.
- While the grill comes up to temperature, combine softened butter and half of the Traeger Fin and Feather Rub in a small bowl.
- Slide your hands underneath the skin on top of the breast to separate from the meat. Place half the butter mixture butter underneath the skin and massage to spread all over the breast.
- Spread remaining butter over the skin on the breast and legs. Season the exterior of the bird and the cavity with remaining Traeger Fin and Feather Rub and truss the legs.
- Place turkey directly on the grill grate and cook for 20-20 minutes at 375 degrees F or until the skin begins to brown. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F and continue to cook until internal temperature registers 165 degrees F when an instant-read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
- While the turkey is cooking, combine ingredients for glaze in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature and let simmer 15-20 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- During the last ten minutes of cooking, brush the glaze on the turkey and cook until the glaze is set.
- Remove from grill and let rest 10-15 minutes before carving.